Thursday, April 27, 2006

Episode - Reckoning

ABC did a very good job of using the past episodes to bring everyone back up to speed in the recap episode "Reckoning". Like we were going to forget? Of course, there was nothing new here, as we’ve seen these clips before when originally aired. However, I do want to discuss a few things that may have been missed or that I did not discuss in previous recap issues. The next four weeks we will see new episodes with the season finale on May 24th. Remember that the producers/writers have stated that two people were going to die before the end of the season. My first vote goes to "Henry Gale". I’m not sure who the second will be. Perhaps the second will be Rousseau?

Discussion topics:

1. Last night we saw that the tail section survivors were indeed living in the abandoned "Arrow" Station when they captured Jin, Michael and Sawyer. If you remember the blast door map you’ll notice that the "Arrow" station was located at the exact opposite side of the island as the "Swan" station. This means that when Ana-Lucia and Eko brought everyone through the jungle they passed through the central hub area designated with a "?" on the map. Could this be where the "Others" are living, working and/or conspiring?

2. Seeing the blast door map again, in the context of the show, was very cool. I still think it is the best piece of T.V. mythology ever invented. It probably won’t stand the test of time like "Who shot J.R.?" but it ranks way up there with me. And as you all know I live for the mythology in this program!

3. Watching the scene where Michael and Walt use the computer to send messages to each other reminded me that this episode was the one which actually started me writing and thinking deeper about the show. Prior to that I was just another casual LOST viewer. When the word "Dad" came up on the screen I felt a shiver run up and then down my spine. I won’t soon forget it.

4. Mr. Eko’s Walking Stick or "Jesus" stick was shown prominently on the recap show last night and the Biblical references were very noticeable. I’ll just briefly discuss each:

a. The 23rd Psalm: Begins, "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me lie down in green pastures; he leadeth me beside the still waters." This Bible verse is most quoted when people are in a fearful situation or in a situation where they no longer fear for their lives. Very apropos in this instance, I think. Also, the episode of that aired on January 11, 2006 was titled "The 23rd Psalm". The characters Mr. Eko and Charlie recite the psalm together (as "I walk through the shadow of the valley of death.") after discovering and burning the airplane that Eko's brother crashed in.

b. The word "Hateth" is clearly visible on Eko’s stick and appears in the following chapters of the Bible: Exodus 23, Deuteronomy 7, Deuteronomy 12, Deuteronomy 16, Deuteronomy 22, Job 16, Job 34, Psalm 11, Psalm 120, Proverbs 11, Proverbs 12, Proverbs 13, Proverbs 15, Proverbs 26, Proverbs 28, Proverbs 29, Isaiah 1, and Malachi 2 - Anyone interested could find some meaning in the verses. Feel free to look them up.

c. Psalm 144 is a prayer for rescue or prosperity and begins, "Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"

d. Revelations 3: This chapter is a group of letters from John to the city of Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodiciea. John says that these cities are dead cities with living people who have no faith. Is this a description of our survivors??

e. Colossians 4: verse 5 states "Conduct yourselves wisely toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity." Enough said?

f. Titus 3: The Reminder (or Remember) chapter of the Bible: Remember good works. Remember to live obedient and kind lives. Remember what you used to be. Remember the great salvation of God. Remember to keep on course. Remember people. Remember to do good deeds. Mr. Eko has referred to this stick as "Things I need to remember".

And that concludes our sermon for this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home