Friday, April 21, 2006

The LOST Diary(s)

Diary # 1

I’m not sure when this occurred but on the official LOST website a link was included called “Found”. If you click on this link two pages from a diary can be viewed. I have included them here for your convenience. The diary pages are standard 8 ½” X 11” lined notebook paper with margin lines. The pages look like they have been crumpled up and then re-opened and flattened out again, although the notepaper did survive a plane crash, which may account for it’s crumply-ness. The diary pages are superimposed over the original crash site on the island on the website. There are arrows on each page to navigate to previous or following pages. I have only been able to get two pages to load.

There is no explanation where these pages came from or who wrote them but some deductions and inferences can be taken from the content of the pages. I’ll explain my thoughts after you’ve read the diary pages below.

Page 1

“Something must be done. I’ve just learned that
my brother is being held in the hatch as a
suspected “other” and from what I’ve heard, his
treatment has been less than… humane. Who
do these people think they are? Judge and
jury? What gives them the right? This is not
their court. This is not their island. Something
must be done…


I confronted Locke today and demanded to be
let into the armory to see my brother. But
all Locke continues to do is deny his very
existence. I can tell by the way he looks at
me that he’s lying and I’m going to find out the
truth.


This is some sort of conspiracy! Now Jack and Sayid
are lying to me too. They continue to deny
that they are holding my brother in that
hatch. And I could see the bruises on Sayid’s
fists! I’m going down there. Who’s to stop me?”


Page 2

“I was headed for the hatch when I came across
Charlie and Eko building in the jungle. And I’m
more confused now than ever. Charlie insists
that my brother is not in the armory… and
Charlie is the one person on this island that
thought I could trust, especially after the way
he tried to protect Claire and the baby.


He and Eko invited me to stay and help them
work on the church they are constructing. But
I have to find out the truth. I feel as though
I’m losing my mind…


They’re all talking about me – They don’t
think I can hear them , but I can. People are
saying I’m crazy. I’m crazy? Me? Hah! All I know is
that I don’t intend to spend the rest of my life
on this god-forsaken rock without my brother.
And if that makes me “crazy”, so be it. But I just
can’t go on in this place without somebody I can
trust. Why will no one help me?”


So, it looks like “Henry Gale” has a sibling on the island. The style of the letter does not reveal the gender of the diarist so it could you a man or a woman who has written the diary. I do not believe that the word “brother” is used here as a social connotation such as a “friend” or close associate. If you recall, Desmond calls Jack “brother” a few times in their different meetings. I do believe that “brother” in this instance is literal and a familial association as in a sibling.

The diarist knows that the hatch was once used as an armory but does not seem to know that the guns are gone. And the diarist is also aware of the history between Claire and Charlie on the island. This would tend to make be believe that this is not someone new but one of the older survivors. Besides, Desmond, Rousseau, or the others would obviously not be asked to help construct Mr. Eko’s church.

Which brings me to the fact that Eko and Charlie are indeed building a church. We can infer that at least that much of the diary is truthful. In the last episode (S.O.S.) Charlie told a number of people that they were indeed erecting a church. Bernard was invited by Charlie to work on the church when he was looking for recruits to help build the S.O.S. signal on the beach. Note that this was the only invite we saw on screen but that others may have been invited to help build the church. Also, according to a diary entry the diarist said he (or she) was going to confront Locke at the hatch before finding Charlie and Eko building. We can’t assume that Bernard is the diarist based on those assumptions. However, if I had to guess I would say that “Henry Gale” was Bernard’s brother and that Bernard is indeed the diarist. To cloudy the whole thing (and when hasn’t LOST been cloudy) the terms “losing my mind” and “crazy” crop up a few times in the diary. We have just watched an episode where both Hurley and Libby were seen in a mental hospital and I cannot rule out the possibility that either Libby or Hurley could be the diary writer and therefore the sibling of “Henry Gale”. Obviously, “Henry Gale” has become an important figure in the LOST mythology and since the writers have stated that there may be two main character deaths before the end of the season look for “Henry Gale” to be killed off in the next few weeks. Just a guess on my part but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Diary # 2

And apparently there is another diary found on the official LOST site that is difficult to locate but is lengthy and is not written by one of the main characters. I am not convinced that this is real or not but it does look like the paper from both diaries is identical. There are so many hoaxes out there its hard to determine what’s real and what’s not. I do believe that Diary # 1 is genuine and placed on the site by the writers as a teaser. I’m reserving judgment for Diary # 2 and won’t be including notes until (or unless) I find out if it is genuine or not. There are 32 pages encompassing 43 days and nights and many of the things that happened previously on the island are depicted accurately in the diary. Still this could be an elaborate joke. Page 30 of the diary has the following name found on it: Janelle Granger, Hermosa Beach, CA. She is assumedly the diarist. The entire diary can be found at
  • http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/diary1.html
  • Click on the arrows to read more pages of this diary.

    One last note: From the way the diaries were presented on the website it seems that my “Diary # 2” may have been the first to be found and “Diary # 1” second. I’ve listed them in the order that I first found them and am still unconvinced of #2’s authenticity.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home